JOB DESCRIPTION – Shelter Support Staff Member
Title: Shelter Support Staff Member.
Status: Non-exempt, hourly; Part-time; On-call.
Pay Rate: $15 per hour.
Reports to: Lead Shelter Manager.
Posting: Through Sunday, March 20, 2022
MISSION: Building relationships to overcome homelessness with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in response to God’s love for ALL.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY: Open Doors Kalamazoo (ODK) is committed to being inclusive in all areas of diversity in its employment, operations, programs, and services. ODK prohibits discrimination based on, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, history of incarceration or conviction record, citizenship, political affiliation, nationality, immigration status, language, ancestry, family and marital status, veteran status, genetics, height, and weight.
OVERVIEW: This position is responsible for the general shelter operations when the primary shelter support staff members are unavailable.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND RELATED TASKS:
- Build relationships with shelter guests.
- Engage in conversation with guests showing care, understanding, and no judgement.
- Answer questions from guests.
- Assign chores and assure they are completed adequately.
- Verify when guests are expected to return to the shelter.
- Answer shelter phone line.
- Respond to questions from callers regarding the program.
- Use a phone in-take questionnaire to learn if a potential candidate may be eligible for the use of the shelter.
- Take thorough notes.
- Use Google Documents to key thorough notes about the events that occurred during the shift. This is important to keep the shelter managers and other shelter staff fully informed.
- Maintain a safe environment.
- Disinfect common areas routinely to protect against viruses.
- Adhere to safety protocols, which includes COVID-19 response.
- If a guest is not following the program requirements, write up the guest for their file and include thorough notes.
- In a guest behaves in a manner that is against protocol and requires immediate exit from the program, this position would be responsible for that conversation if it occurred during their shift.
- Problem-solving abilities.
- Conflict resolution characteristic.
- Able to maintain composure during heightened emotions.
- Positive attitude.
- Sense of humor.
- Considerate of the experiences of others.
- Excellent listener.
- Strong communication skills.
- Formal or informal experience interacting with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Formal or informal interactions with people who have experienced being unhoused.
- Formal or informal de-escalation experience.
- Some formal education.
- Formal or informal experience engaging with people in recovery.
- Formal or informal experience engaging with people who identify with having mental health conditions.
- Formal or informal experience engaging with people who are a part of the LGBTQIA community.
Electronically: Email cover letter and résumé to AhNee White, deputy director, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail: Mail cover letter and résumé to Open Doors Kalamazoo; Attention: AhNee White, deputy director; PO Box 50102; Kalamazoo, MI 49005-0102
Questions: Call Jamie Prudom, lead shelter manager, at (269) 345-1431.